Already present in the first editions of prestigious tourist guides (now more than hundred-year-old!!), the ancient “Grand Hôtel” keeps telling its story through collections of engravings and period post cards, as well as through maps of the old CAEN city center… With the current building dating back to 1951 and the reconstruction of CAEN, the hotel has gained in comfort what its façade has lost in terms of architectural sophistication… Since the ‘60s, numerous transformations have taken place in line with current tastes and customer expectations… The hotel closed in 2003 for substantive refurbishment lasting for almost a year which allowed to reopen its doors with communal and private spaces completely reorganized, rationalized and secured: comfort is guaranteed while respecting a sustainable development philosophy. And in 2012 the hotel reached another milestone by gaining its 3rd star!
For those who would like to know more, here is an extract from a beautiful book * in a section called "La rue de Strasbourg et l’hôtel de la place Royale"
"Known as Horses Alley in the 17th Century, it is renamed rue de la Municipalité [Municipality Road] during the Revolution. After the Republic was decreed In September 1871, , the rue de l’Impératrice [Emperess Road] (as it became in the meantime) was renamed rue de Strasbourg in memory of the Alsace region's capital which was then occupied by the Germans. Starting at the Rue Saint Pierre, it opens up on to the Place de la République. In memory of the square's old name, the hotel kept the Place Royale name. The hotel, which served as lodgings for the troupes passing through Caen, was succeeded by a second built in 1835 to accommodate stagecoaches and the following inscription is added to its façade: ‘Royal Messengers’. At the start of the 20th Century, this hotel while boasting comfortable rooms with electricity, central heating and a lift, also had an exceptional location overlooking the town hall gardens. Destroyed during the bombings, it was rebuilt in the same place and still overlooks the gardens of the Place de la République ».*
*Extract from « CAEN yesterday and today » by Yves LECOUTURIER and Bernard ENJOLRAS, published by Editions Ouest-France, 2008